Thursday, April 5, 2007

Stacking the Deck: Vegas Magic by Sara Dennis [HET Review}

Vegas Magic: Stacking the Deck by Sara Dennis is sweet. I would give it a B+. Now, I am a lesbian, but even though this is heterosexual romance, I enjoyed it a lot.
Sam is witch ready to hit the town with her girlfriends when she sees Alec perform a magic show. That chance meeting leads to a few drinks which get complicated very fast because anything can happen in Las Vegas with supernatural creatures about. Kick ass witches, hunky warlocks, adorable fairies, and angry werewolves populate this tale of romance and action in Las Vegas.

Sara Dennis' has created some vivid characters here. Sam and Alec have fleshed out personalities, and Dennis is able to make secondary characters like Twyla stand out. Sam and Alec are just fun to read about. They are such a cute couple that it made sense that they liked each other. I've read a few romances where I wonder why in the hell didn't the couple get restraining orders on each other. Not with this couple. They made me wish the story was longer. Sara Dennis is good at creating interesting characters.

For those like me who get thrown out of a story if there is bad editing -- never fear! Stacking the Deck looks like an editor did get a hold of it.

There were some things that I didn't like. The romance between Sam and Alec seems like it went from 'hey hottie' to 'soulmates' a little fast, but the story was well-written enough that I didn't mind. Another issue was the character Duff. I found him to be a tad unrealistic, but like with the fast romance, I was convinced to get over it. Both issues did bug me when I was reading it though. The ending was sort of unrealistic in its HEA, but you are so happy that there is a HEA that it doesn't really matter. Sara Dennis does seem to be able to make any flaws in her story seem minicule or charming by strength of the story as a whole.

The story is very fast paced, and the plot is like a roller coaster. This does seem like the characters are the real focus of the story, so though who want a real plot driven romance will be disappointed. I want to read more of Sara Dennis' work. This is a real treat of a paranormal romance. You can buy this story here at Cobblestone Press.

2 comments:

Eva Gale said...

Sara Dennis is not only a great writer-but she? Herself? Is Da Bomb. Kid you not. I wanna be her hen I grow up. (and Nigella Lawson)

Arin Rhys said...

Really? I've been looking at her Dragon Undone story. I don't want to fangirl after one book but her Dragon story looks pretty good. Its good to know that if I choose to fangirl that it would be a wise decision. :D