Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Steven Saylor Writes Great Mysteries

Do you love Mysteries? I like mysteries, but I love historical mysteries. Have any of you heard of Steven Saylor? He has a mystery series that features a detective-like man named Gordianus the Finder who helps solve crimes and mysteries for the Roman elite in the time of Julius Caesar. I've only read one book of his -- The Judgement of Caesar -- and I can't wait to read another. The speech and the attitude of the character doesn't seem anachronistic which is such a plus. Nothing jumped out at me as wrong in the historical facts department. And for romance lovers, the feelings that Gordianus has for his wife in The Judgement of Caesar is tear jerking. Check out Steven Saylor, you won't be disappointed.

I've read my first JD Ward book. It is Lover Eternal in the Brotherhood of the Black Dagger series. I liked it. It was fun, good read. The names of the guys in the Brotherhood made me laugh like I was on LOLlerskates though. Rhage? Tohrment? Zsadist? I really want to see the romance when the hero is a "utter masculine" guy named Glenn Finkleberg. Seriously though, JD Ward is just like Steven Saylor in the list of authors to read again. Her book didn't rock the boat in paranormal romance or get on my keeper shelf, but it might be on the shelf next to the keepers.

2 comments:

Stacia said...

Glenn Finkleberg!

I know what you mean though. I'm about to write a vampire named Edwrad. Because I like the name Edward.

Arin Rhys said...

Edwrad Or Edward?

I have no idea what is wrong with just some regular names. Besides, with vampires or other immortal-like creatures the names of their youth are wild, unique already.