Thursday, March 29, 2007

Two Weeks of Reading

The Mists of Avalon:
Squeeeeee! This book was great. The view of King Arthur and his knights from the view of the women around them was an inspired idea. The prose was lush, and I didn't feel like a word on any of the 876 pages was wasted. Everyone had flaws so that neither Mograine or Gwenhwyfar seemed like perfect people. In fact, Gwenhwyfar got on my nerves a little bit. Mograine's plans sort of had me wanting to smack her upside the head. It seemed very well researched, and that is always a good sign. If you haven't read it, do so.

Nylon Magazine (March issue):
Scrunchies are back... :( I'm just going to be too hipster for that trend. Also, Pete Wentz, not that cool. Sorry.

Party Monster:
This book was so much darker than the movie. There was so much interesting stuff in the book that didn't make it too the movie. James St. James had one hell of a voice. I got this book in one day and finished it in four hours because I was sucked into the story so much. Too bad I had a midterm the next day and didn't study as much as I should have. Well, I had dancing crackheads in chicken costumes running through my head. That makes it a little hard to focus on Latin American trade politics.

Complicated Women - Women in Pre-Code Hollywood:
This book was a love letter to Norma Shearer and, while I could see how some would find that annoying, I thought that was the best anchor to the whole tale. Norma Shearer was an little known innovator who brought the darker, raunchier, and more realistic and sympathetic stories for women into mainstream Hollywood movies... And the public loved it. Its just a great read with a gossip yet historical voice that really makes the early 30s seem like yesterday.

Heidi Klum's Body of Knowledge: 8 Rules of Model Behavior (to Help You Take Off on the Runway of Life) :
I read this in like an hour and a half in the university bookstore. It was pretty uninteresting. It had the same old-same old self help shit, but Heidi and her ghost writer have a pretty preppy voice that makes the celebrity self help guide seem a little fresher. The pictures of Heidi were nice. If your in the bookstore, I wouldn't say buy it, but it wouldn't hurt to look at it.

I read all this and I still haven't finished Pulse from Cobblestone Press or Nature Rising or Love Me Tender. *le sigh*

6 comments:

Anna Black said...

"The Mists of Avalon" is one of my "keeper books". Loved it the first time I read it when it first came out and still love it.

Have you seen the movie?

Stacia said...

Oooh, I'll have to get Party Monster.

I actually have a copy of Avalon, and I've never read it. I just couldn't get into it. I keep meaning to try again.

Arin Rhys said...

December - Party Monster is so good! Its much darker than the movie. Michael Alig is much more sympathetic in the movie. I read it straight through the day before a midterm... It was that good.

No, I haven't seen the movie. Is it true to the book or does it at least have an interesting take on the book, Anna?

ivan said...

Thanks for the chin-up on another blog.

Ivan

Eva Gale said...

Last time I read this was in HS. So, in the course of life, I lost the book, but happened upon it in the UBS and snatched it up for the daughter. OK, not for her. But if I admit to buying one more book, the DH will have an intervention. I can't wait to read it again.

Arin Rhys said...

It was so good. Yes, I too have to admit that I have people who must watch me at the book store or else I will walk out two hours later loaded with books.